The Department is charged with the responsibility of providing Legal related services to the Commission towards achieving it statutory goals. They include the following functions:
- Advocacy, that is representing and defending the Commission in Courts, in Cases instituted for and against it.
- Participate in out of Court settlements and other Disputes Resolution Mechanisms.
- Proffering Legal Advice/Opinion on any issue and interprets Legal Instruments/Documents both Nationally and Internationally on matter/issues relating to the functions and activities of the Commission.
- Processes/Vets and Drafts documents such as Contracts and Memoranda of Understanding Agreements for the Commission and Partners, Law Making Processes, Bilateral and Multilateral Agreements/Negotiations inclusive.
- Being a Services Department, LSD liaises with other Departments of the Commission, Agencies/Ministries in the performance of the activities and functions of the Commission
The Legal Service Department is headed by a Legal Adviser from the Office of the Honorable Attorney General of Federation and Minster of Justice.