The Internal Boundaries Department of the Commission is charged with the responsibility of managing internal boundaries with a particular focus on interstate boundary dispute prevention.
FOCUS OF THE DEPARTMENT
In the management of the internal boundaries, the focus is on dispute prevention, dispute resolution and maintenance of good inter-communal relations for sustenance of peace and harmony in the border areas. In pursuance of this, the department has the following defined goals:-
- To encourage free interaction among members of the border communities;
- To ensure frank and fair two-way communication, with proper appreciation of one another;
- To attain a stable border society, through sustained cooperation and collaboration;
- To facilitate equitable utilization of common resources of border areas through mutual understanding, communality and accommodation.
MODUS OPERANDI OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department on receipt of complaints/information on any boundary dispute, initiates appropriate actions. These actions include the organization of Joint Meetings of Officials of Federal Government and the Officials of the affected States to create an enabling environment for frank discussions devoid of any rancor and suspicion on the dispute. The Joint Meetings of Official constitute various Committees to among other things:
- Search, recover and analyze relevant delimitation instruments for use in the resolution of the disputed boundary;
- Interpret the delimitation instruments and plot them on relevant maps (topo-sheets);
- Field trace and provisionally demarcate the boundary on the ground; and
- Prepare reports for other committees and the National Boundary Commission for final resolutions.
ZONAL LIAISON OFFICES:
The Commission operates six (6) Zonal Liaison Offices in the six (6) geopolitical zones. They are:
- North Central – Minna, Niger State;
- North West – Sokoto, Sokoto State;
- North East – Maiduguri, Borno State;
- South West – Lagos, Lagos State;
- South East – Enugu, Enugu State;
- South South – Calabar, Cross River State.
The Zonal Liaison Offices coordinates the activities of the Commission their respective zones.